Position Title : CARPENTER
KEY ORGANIZATIONAL RELATIONSHIPS
Accountable To : Workshop Manager
- Responsible for designing, building, installing, and repairing structures, fixtures, furniture, and other items using different types of materials including wood and steel.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Understand the project brief and deliverables.
- Study specifications in blueprints, sketches or building plans to prepare project layout and determine dimensions and materials required.
- Correct selection of materials for fabrication of crates, stands and furniture.
- Ensure all materials for fabrication are at hand for production. Select and order lumber and other required materials.
- Work with blueprints/ working drawings or instructions from supervisors.
- Understand measurements and how to accurately apply these measurements.
- Measure and mark cutting lines on materials, using ruler, pencil, chalk, and marking gauge.
- Work with materials such as wood, plastic, steel and drywall.
- Shape or cut materials to specified measurements, using hand tools, machines, or power saw.
- Utilize woodwork machinery (chisels, planes, saws, drills etc.)
- Use levels, rules, plumb bobs, framing squares (woodwork tools) to ensure everything is level and secure.
- Ensure all equipment is functioning properly.
- Assemble and fasten materials to make framework or props, using hand tools and wood screws, nails, dowel pins, or glue.
- Fill cracks and other defects in plaster or plasterboard and sand patch, using patching plaster, trowel, and sanding tool.
- Paint and finish fabrications.
- Check work along the way to ensure it’s according to project brief and specifications.
- Work with prefabricated materials. Install partitions. (Shop fitting).
- Installation of cabinets and mouldings.
- Erect scaffolding and ladders safely and securely.
- Follow established safety rules and regulations and maintain a safe and clean environment.
- Build or repair crates, stands, furniture’s cabinets, doors, frameworks, floors, and other wooden fixtures using woodworking machines, carpenter’s hand tools, and power tools.
- Remove damaged or defective parts or sections of structures and repair or replace, using hand tools.
- Maintain records, document actions and present written progress reports.
- Work with and/or remove hazardous material.
- Assist with model base construction (Physical department)
- Assist with landscaping and basic model making requirements.
- Assist with installation of physical models, furniture at exhibitions.
- Assist with maintenance of the workshop (moving of crates, models etc.)
- Weekly report to workshop manager on progress made/ project status.
- Assist with cleaning of the factory when required. This would entail emptying of dustbins and shrapnel items not in use – please confirm what should be thrown away with the workshop manager.
- Assist with loading/ off-loading of items received/ delivered. Positioning of items in the warehouse should be confirmed with the person responsible.
- When not busy you should report to the workshop manager – we will allocate a task for you to learn with the assistance of another employee (Part of training)
- Communication: If instructions are not clear please ask for a translator so that the task on hand can be dealt with correctly.
- 8th or High School Pass
- 02+ years of Experience.
- Ability to operate required equipment in a safe and responsible manner
- Client service and public interaction skills
- Team building
- Effective verbal and listening communications skills
- Time management skills
- Ability to read building specifications